Academy MemberMap & Directions
- SANTA FE
Jim Hall served as a District Judge from 1995 to 2009. During his tenure on the bench, he handled cases in the Civil Division, Criminal Division and Family Court. He was twice elected by his colleagues to serve as Chief Judge of the First Judicial District, serving from 2001‐2008. As a Civil Court Judge, he presided over a wide variety of cases, including a number of highly complex civil matters.
Following his retirement from the bench, Judge Hall opened a mediation and arbitration practice in Santa Fe in 2010. For the past five years, he has mediated approximately 150 cases per year. He has mediated in a wide range of cases including personal injury, medical malpractice, employment, civil rights, probate, commercial, construction and oil and gas cases. In 2013, he was recognized as a Southwest Super Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
In addition to his mediation and arbitration practice, Judge Hall continues to preside over active cases through his appointment as a pro tem judge by the New Mexico Supreme Court. In this role, he has presided over several complex matters, including all state cases related to the redistricting of political districts following the 2010 census.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Medical Malpractice
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
- University of Michigan School of Law, Ann Arbor, Michigan, J.D., 1983
- DePauw University, Greencastle Indiana, B.A. 1979
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of New Mexico, 1984‐present
- New Mexico Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission, Vice‐Chair, 2010‐present
- New Mexico Board of Bar Commissioners, 2012‐present
- Adjunct Instructor in Trial Practice, University of New Mexico School of Law, 2008‐ 2014
- New Mexico Judicial Standards Commission, 2002‐2008
- Chief Judges Council and State Budget Committee, 2001‐2008
- Outstanding Trial Judge, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2007
- Seth D. Montgomery Distinguished Judicial Service Award, 2010
Please call office for details.